introduction
A brief history
A message from president
Campuses and maps
Future Plan


NTU was established on May18, 2004 with the amalgamation of Nantong Medical College, Nantong Institute of Technology and Nantong Teachers College . However, it traces its history back to the early twentieth century.

Nantong Medical College , stemmed from a private Medical Institute of Nantong, was founded in 1912 by Zhang Jian and his brother Zhang Cha. It was one of the earliest medical colleges in China . It was transformed into Nantong Medical College in 1927, and a Medical department of Nantong University (amalgamated from three colleges of agriculture, textile and medicine) in 1928. It was moved to Shanghai In August 1938 and returned home and restored in 1946. During the adjustment of the national higher education in 1952, the medical department was entitled Northern Jiangsu Medical College and renamed as Nantong Medical College in 1956. It came under the joint jurisdiction of China 's Ministry of Transportation and the Jiangsu Provincial Government In 1978. And since Feb. 2002, it has become a college at provincial level.

Nantong Institute of Technology , the first textile college in China, developed from Nantong Textile Training School set in 1912, and was renamed Nantong Private Textile College in Sept. 1913. It changed into Nantong Textile University in 1927 and combined into private Nantong University with medical and agricultural departments in 1928. It was merged into East China Textile College , Shanghai in1952 and was reinstalled by the Jiangsu Provincial Government in Dec. 1977 as Nantong Textile Branch (attached to Nanjing Technology Institute). It was renamed as Nantong Textile College in July 1980, promoted to Nantong Textile Institute of Technology in Jan. 1985 and re-entitled as Nantong Institute of Technology since Mar. 1995.

Nantong Teachers College was amalgamated from the former Nantong Teachers College and Nantong Education College in 1999. The former Nantong Teachers College was established in 1958. Nantong Education College had been combined with Nantong District Teachers Training School and Nantong Teachers Training School . In Mar. 1983, Nantong Municipal Government approved to combine the two schools and named it Nantong Education College .